Sunday, October 25, 2009

Why I started Ask Mike

Recently I had a major life changing experience. This will give you the answer to the question, why I started Ask Mike. The first of October 2009 I was working a 12 hour shift and had barely any work all day till about 4 pm. then I was slammed with a few cars to finish that day. I then worked as fast as I could to get them done in time. 8 pm they shut the shop down and I went home stressed from the day and took a shower. After the shower I felt my aorta tear and my feet and hands went numb instantly. I turned to my wife and said take me to the hospital immediately. After I said this I was in excruciating pain. When we got to the hospital I could not get out of the car. I was taken into the ER and they started to plug me up to every hose and electrical cord they could find. I was in the most pain I have ever felt in my life and I felt like I was not going to make it. My two sons came in and gave me a blessing and I told them they have been good sons and that I loved them. From this point on I will tell you from the perspective of my family because I do not remember much after this.
They said that when I went to the ER the doctors and nurses their said to call all the family members because he will not make it. The hospital has two heart and lung machines and two technicians that know how to use them. One of the techs was on vacation and the other machine was being used at that very moment and we would have to wait for three and a half hours before I could use it. And the real kicker was that both machines have not been used in 3 months. What are the odds of that? Every heart beat I was closer to dieing.
I had what is called an aortic aneurysm. This was the same thing that John Ritter died of. My aneurysm was a little different. I had what was called a false lumen. It is when the inner wall of the aorta tears and the blood starts to flow between the inner and outer wall of the aorta. Every time my heart would beat it would separate the inner and outer walls of the arteries. Every second counts and at any minute I could die. In the span of 4 hours of this my arteries separated all the way down to my left leg. The doctors said at any moment the blood flow could back up and it would fill in the heart cavity and kill me at any moment. They also said that this usually kill the organs in your chest cavity when it separates that far down. In the operating room They chilled my body down to 55 Degrees Fahrenheit to minimize brain damage due to lack of oxygen and blood flow to the brain. My heart was stopped for 2 hours and 10 minutes and blood flow to the brain was stopped for 26 minutes. A piece of the aorta was logged in the artery down my left leg that cut off blood flow to the leg for 5 or 6 hours that caused extensive nerve damage to my left leg. The doctors said that he sacrificed my leg to save my life.
The doctors said that it was a miracle that I am alive. The statistics says 50% die before they get to the hospital the other 20% die on the operating table and another 10% die of a stroke when they heat the body back up. I was the lucky 10% that survive. My close friend that was the heart surgeon said the other doctors were looking for your name in the obituaries. He said his hands were blessed when he was operating on me. I am truly a blessed man. I have a purpose here in this life. If I did not I would not be here. It has been three weeks and three days since this took place and I am walking around and I have most of the feeling in my leg and my strength is coming back. It truly is a miracle.

7 comments:

  1. I love you dad! I think this will be a great thing for you. You are an amazing person! We are so so blessed to have you in our lives. We love you so very much. Thank you for staying here with us. You mean the world to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! Mike what a scare....I'm glad you're still here, Zeke and I love coming over and visiting. Why haven't we been bringing our cars to you? We are stupid..Glad to hear of your progress, we need to come by to say hi. Your awesome. We had your whole family in our hearts when Bria had told us a little insight of what was happening. So sorry to hear but happy to know you are doing better.

    love Des and Zeke Andelin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mr. Michael,
    I am glad you are feeling better. I have a goldfish that I named Michael after you. Thank you for letting me play with your drill when I visited at work.

    Love,
    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad Your a stud. You look like a million bucks. There was no way you would let some stupid little aorta tear ruin your life. This looks like a great place to vent your car frustrations. Ha Ha love you dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike,
    I had no idea about any of this. For some reason or another Kitty and I have lost touch this last year about. Anyways when Bria 1st posted about you being better.. although I had no idea what had happened I started praying for your recovery. And I will continue.
    You are such an amazing person and everyone that has come in contact with you is truly blessed. I hope everything continues to go as it has this last little bit. You are surrounded by angels and if this story doesn't prove that I am not sure what would. Love you Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike...I wish I was there to give you a hug...I miss you guys in my life. I am so happy that you survived and are getting better every day. I am grateful that you are using you experience to inspire other people especially my kids, Rex too, for that matter. I love you and wish you well....love Allison

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uncle Mike,
    You are the best person I know (our whole family agrees), and we are all so grateful that you made it through this terrible ordeal. I love this blog, and know what an awesome mechanic you are, and am looking forward to having you help us with our car questions! I love you so much! I hope that your recovery is quick!

    ReplyDelete